6-Step strategy to help with changing your career path

Looking or thinking to change career path? Come on in. Let’s discuss ways you can strategically do this. Find a seat, grab a cup of coffee and make yourself comfortable. Thanks for joining in today.

As many know, I started off as a Graphic Designer in Lagos on a N30,000/month pay. Today, I am a Senior branch office administrator (BOA) in one of Canada’s Big 5. On another day, I'll give details of what prompted the change, why I changed & how I navigated the path. 

Career Path

Today, I'd be putting you through this 6-Step strategy to help with your career change journey. Let's wait for others to find a seat. Also, remember there is coffee and juice in the other room. Also, if you have questions at any point, just indicate. 

1. WHERE ARE YOU NOW ?

(Evaluate Yourself & Your Situation)

It is important that before making any decision or allowing your emotions guide you, you need to assess yourself in the most honest way.You must understand that making a career change requires commitment & sacrifice. 

Things will change, so are you up for it?Evaluating means asking honest questions like:

- Why am I seeking a change?
- Will I be happier?
- Is the workload at my present job stressing me?
- Do I just need more money?
- Is a new career the answer or another job in same field? 

Read also : Building Carousels and sliders with TailwindCSS.

-Is this new career borne out of passion?
-Am I just bored & looking for something lively?

Once you're done reflecting, your view should be less misty. Now, make a list of why you want this change. This will help to clarify your viewpoint more.

Don’t let your coffee get cold. 

2. WHERE ARE YOU GOING?

(Determining Your New Career Location)
After you’ve been able to convince yourself that you need to break up with your present field, it is important to know and understand what career you are shooting your shot at. 

See, some fields like medicine, accounting or IT will require specific training/skill-sets for you to complete before you can work.

So, it is important to note that the new career might be difficult to transition to. Still convinced you need to make the move?

Great lets go on. 

3. WHAT DO YOU HAVE?

(Identifying Skills Needed)
Once your 'career-seeking-map' indicates you have arrived at the 'career-change-decision' point, you now need to identify the skills that are needed to make a career switch. 

Read also : Toggle password visibility with JavaScript.

What you’d find, most times, is that you already either have some of the skills or have something similar – especially the soft skills. For instance, in terms of hard skills, a Financial Analyst looking to switch to HR Analyst might find their excel skills will come in handy. 

Now search ‘JD of XYZ job’ to get overview of skills, competencies & knowledge. Also, see if certain certifications are needed.

This way, you'd know the requirements. You might lack the experience & knowledge & that’s fine.Compare this with your strengths & weaknesses. 

4. WHO DO YOU KNOW?

(Your Network)
After the career requirement audit, should then begin using your network to look for someone in the field. Getting the word out will help you find mentors or SME who are ready to guide, explain and direct you accordingly. 

What these network of people who already work in these fields can do is:

- Build/Review your career change resume.
- Have informal/mock up interview with you.
- Refer you to entry level roles within their own network. 

Like I always say:
Someone in your:

- Network
- Clique
- Association
- Group
- Cabal
- Club
- Society

...will readily refer you to a job before an outsider does.

Many times, the opportunities we want lies within our circle. 

Read also : Six ways to move forward in your career path.

5. SHARPEN YOUR TOOLS

(Resume, Cover Letter & Learn!)
- At this stage, you have a blueprint & have a clear path of where you are headed.

So, have a resume that aligns with the new field. Emphasize your transferable skills as they are what you’d be leveraging on for now. 

- Have a cover letter that tells your story in a honest way. 

- Learn, Learn & Learn. Use online platforms to learn various techniques/skills. Put your internet to good use and learn things your network discussed with you. 

Once you are confident of your new resume, use online platforms to apply for roles to test the waters. You know a sour truth? A rejection letter is better than doing nothing. So, never be scared to apply. It is also strategic to volunteer or take up small pay internship roles. 

6. WHAT DO I GIVE?

(Staying Focused and Not Giving Up)
Now, it might sound easy. But truth is? It is not. Having this mindset will get you ready.

Will you easily give up? Will you continue to move when pot holes, bumps & hindrances appear? Because you will be tested. 

Read also : Personal and Career Development.

However, depending on how you've prepared emotionally, you’d be able to weather the career change storm. It does come with so many emotional roller coasters, but being strategic about it and knowing all it will take will really help you stay focused. 

Like I said, I’d tell you how my career change went, but for now, take in all this & start somewhere.

Have an action plan. A timeline too. Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. Tweak as you go along. No one has it 100% figured before starting. Do it afraid. 

Thanks again for coming. You can return your seats, leave the door opened as it's an open door policy here.

Have a great month, conquer & do exploits. 🙏🏿 

Original Article

Read also : 7 simple Career Growth strategy.

Tags: career path,career

Author : Kekeocha Justin

Novrazbb Yotjob distinctquote yourowndir muttcat scholarship carlesto newsfunt