I've noticed we make silly mistakes when sending out resume.. I'm going to make an article here and I hope it will help
1. Never start your resume with "Curriculum Vitae". Start with your name boldly written with a larger font.
2. Ensure the address on your resume is the same with the location of the job. It will make interviewers consider you faster. e.g, if the job is in Johannesburg, apply with a Joburg address. If you don't stay in the same location, look for someone you know that uses same location.
3. Don't use childish email address. Use an email address with your name. Don't use email address such as [email protected] It says a lot about your maturity and professionalism. You can use [email protected] If the name is already taken, add some numbers.
4. Under personal data or profile. Some entities like date of birth, state and nationality are not compulsory. As a matter of fact, if the age they need doesn't favour you, just take off your date of birth. Keep the interviewer in doubt. Rather sell your skills.
5. Under educational background and dates, simply write your school, your course of study and then the year you graduated. Take off the year you got admission. Some people started school in 2005 and graduated in 2012 for a 4-year course.
6. Specific Certifications is another area that's making people lose out of job search in recent times. Under this section, most people don't have what to put and it pisses off most employers. It means you haven't done much to add value to yourself.
If you are a fresh graduate try to do one or two short courses while at university like MS-EXCEL, SPSS, PASTEL, QUICKBOOKS Etc, else you will be submitting what we call a blank resume'. For those working, u can use ur weekends to achieve same. It will help you in your next job search
7. Under your work experience, you are expected to state where you worked, your job designation and your responsibilities. If you are no longer working in the firm, write your responsibilities in past tense. The current place of work can be written in present tense.
8.However, all your work experiences need not go on your resume except the one relates to the job you're applying for. It makes your resume concise.
9. Under your referees or references, please you are expected to have your referees name, address, phone number and email address. You can also use your family member as your referee but ensure you don't use the same surname. Also, ensure ur referees are aware you are using them.
10. An ideal resume should be in black and white not coloured except on two occasions: if you are applying as a graphic designer and you want to wow your employer or when your resume has the logo of the company you've worked before under your job experience.
11. Never forward a resume from your inbox to another employer. Open and compose a fresh mail then upload your resume and send.
12. When sending your resume, make sure the subject carries the job role you are applying for.
13. Don't save your resume on your laptop or phone as 'My resume' or Edited resume'. Simple save it with your full name, e.g Mavhungu Dakalo.
14. When sending your resume, don't leave the email page blank. Copy your cover letter and post on the email page. Forget the usual 'Sir, kindly find attached herewith for your.
- Long paragraphs without bullets: You know a resume isn't a cover letter. Make it precise and brief. No one is interested in your stories.
Step by step guide on how to write a cover letter
- Starting phrases with I: Start with skill, action, accomplishment words and not with 'I'.
- Why you left your previous employers: This is a total no-no.
- Misspellings or grammatical errors
- Irrelevant experiences
- Weak assertions about academic achievements
- Inappropriate Email Address
- Personal Beliefs.
- Date of Birth, Religion, Sex, Local Government, State of Origin Should not be on your resume.Throw them all out.
All the best.